Saturday 12 May 2012

A rest is as good as a change!

Firstly, sorry for not writing anything for a couple of weeks. I have had things to do in the real world, like applying for my own job! (thankfully I am good enough to continue to do it), and spend some time with the family, as I realised that I have ridden my bike every Saturday, except three, for the last year! So as I was feeling a little off colour I missed the club ride and went to Anglesey with the family for a great weekend (including a little fall off the wagon with a couple of Peroni) which I really enjoyed. My niggling lack of energy has developed into a full blown head cold, so I didn't go out on Tuesday with the lads. Instead of my usual 100miles per week I have managed 78miles in two weeks.
Other news in my cycling world from the last couple of weeks. I was dealt a reality check last weekend. Tim, who I rode the Rapha ride with, had a massive off when he was riding in the Lakes. His front tube failed at 25mph and he hit the tarmac pretty hard. It was lucky he had a helmet and gloves on, as I'm not sure the outcome would have been as favourable if he hadn't. He suffered severe cuts and road rash to the right side of his face, and has also been suffering from the cycling equivalent of whip lash. Paul and I went to see him on Monday and it certainly brings everything into perspective. I am happy to say he is well on the mend, and hopefully he will be back on the bike next week.
Which bike Tim will ride is yet to be seen. My constant talk about Onix bikes has finally worn him down. On his way to Scotland yesterday, he stopped off at the new Onix Showrooms in Blackburn, and instantly fell for the Rob Hayles Pro. I don't normally like to say "I told you so" but I did tell him they were great bikes, and he now agrees!! What makes this all the more interesting is that Tim is the second person from our group to visit Onix this week! Jon went up earlier in the week for a fitting and is eagerly awaiting delivery of his Azzuro, which was recently reviewed on the Channel 5 Gadget show and received 5 stars.




I'm sure when the lads get their bikes I will regret recommending Onix as I see their rear wheels disappearing  off into the distance!!

Today's ride was down to me to organise as Zel is racing tomorrow. As I am still full of the green stuff, I decided to offer a Cafe and back ride to Eureka. I am not the only person who is under the weather, so the reaction to a cafe ride was good. The shop soon filled up with riders, including the Vita Race team, which was nice as I haven't seen the lads for a while. We all decided to ride out to Eureka together and then anyone who wasn't in the Lemsip club could carry on.
There were 16 of us who left the shop. The weather looked good and the wind was at our backs. It didn't take long for things to literately take a turn for the worse! We always try to keep off the main roads and in the country lanes, which is great until you get near a farm! As we headed towards Thornton Hough we encountered a trail of slurry across the road on the junction of a right hand turn, with the added obstacle of a large Massey Ferguson! We all picked our lines, and the oncoming traffic was kind enough to let us turn, unfortunately for one of the group it didn't go to plan. Dave's front wheel picked up a little too much Muck and that was enough to make the front of the bike slide and he was down, heavily on the road. Luckily he was ok to carry on and his bike wasn't damaged, but we did make him ride a little behind us as the smell was a little overpowering!!!
We got to the Cafe without further incident and the race team then headed off to do some faster miles.

Dave smelling a little better and recovering with a well earned Coffee 
The group refuelling at Eureka Cafe 
It was nice to see a flyer for the upcoming Jubilee ride that is being organised by Patisserie Cyclisme and Polocini it promises to be a great ride, 60 miles from Nantwich to Eureka and back, with the promise of some great cake and coffee along the way!! There are a few of us doing it so why not sign up and join in the fun?


There are also a group of us doing the Broken Spoke on the 27th May. The route is quite challenging, if like me, you don't like hills, but it should be a great day. There is still time to sign up....what are you waiting for?

The ride back from Eureka was into the wind, as usual, but we meandered our way through the lanes, making sure we hit all the climbs Zel takes us on, and I was surprised to see when I got home, that I had got a Personal Record on one of my Nemesis climbs! Maybe being ill helps climbing performance? Or maybe it is the Beetroot juice working. I have been drinking it daily, even though I haven't been on the bike, and it really seems to be making a difference to my climbing. My legs can climb for longer without getting the "burn" and my recovery from sustained exertion is getting quicker. Even though it does taste nasty, it is working. I would recommend giving it a try.

When we got back to the shop we all signed up for the 2013 edition of Vita Cycles "Ten Minutes of hell"
Next years event promises to be just as good as this years, with a larger field that will be split into age groups. Time to start training I think with some Sunday tunnel time!!

Finally good luck to Zel in his race tomorrow, also good luck to Dave B and Dave C in their 10k run tomorrow and Jon at the Triathlon he is competing in.

Today's ride details


No comments:

Post a Comment